The first document about a castle in this place dates back to 1142, and it was mentioned in a conveyance of a huge piece of land to Ugo, the son of Bonifacio del Vasto. Since the first half of the 13th Century Del Carretto family had been living there, and probably they also commissioned the rebuilding of the manor.
The castle was conceived as a fortified residence, with imposing walls, mighty corner towers, moats and with only one access door over a drawbridge, in order to keep off their enemies. The interior raises other sensations, with its refined rooms and well preserved works of art, such as the 14th Century frescos attributed to Taddeo di Bartolo or the colossal fireplace of the 16th century.
The branches of Del Carretto kept the castle until 1583; in that year, the last descendant Alfonso II died. The castle passed on the Dukes of Savoy, then to several noble families. From the 15th Century to the 17th Century the castle of Saliceto was repeatedly besieged and conquered, suffering several damages. After its rebuilding in the 13th Century, the castle was restored in the second half of the 14th century, in the 16th Century and in the first half of the 17th Century. Nowadays, the massive noble residence has become a municipal property and it is periodically open to the public.
You can visit the website for further information: Comitato per la Valorizzazione dei Castelli delle Langhe e del Roero.