Part of a panoramic and suggestive position, Monforte d’Alba is the last village of Barolo’s Langhe. The streets, narrow and steep, bring to the historical centre with the square, the baroque buildings and the bell tower.
The village, probably already known in the Roman Age, distinguished itself during the Medieval Age for its military and defensive vocation (in fact it has been called Mons Fortis). In the first half of the eleventh century, Monforte was the main character of a particular episode: the village was conquered in 1208 by the troops sent by the archbishop of Milan, Ariberto d’Intimiano, who wanted to destroy a community of “Catari” settled there; they were taken to Milan, where were compelled to retract their faith in front of the pyre.
From the twelfth century, the site of Monforte is linked to the presence of the family Del Carretto, who was interested in obtaining more power in Langhe’s territory. There are also some remains referable to a castle, but its historical events are almost unknown. Currently there is an eighteenth-century palace belonging to the family Scarampi del Cairo.
In the village of Perno, where the country chapel of Santo Stefano raises too, one can see some structures belonging to a second and more interesting fortified complex; probably built during the thirteenth century, the castle of Perno experienced heavy restorations realized during the Modern Age, when it was substituted by a residential palace.
The only medieval obviousness are represented by the structure of the walls surrounding the building, with stone walling and three little towers (recently modified) with the function of a buttress.