Castiglione Falletto Castle
The little village of Castiglione Falletto is dominated by the presence of the medieval castle. Its central tower, high and massive, makes it clearly visible also from the bordering towns.
Its name is linked to the Falletti family: the presence is certificated since the beginning of the XIV century and is consolidated during the century; later the area is subject of a dispute between Saluzzo marquises, Monferrato marquises and Viscontis. In 1601 it enters in the Savoy’s duchy.
The cylindrical tower in a central position belongs to the most ancient construction phase (XI century); around the tower there are an enclosure and some other perishable structures. The current complex, outcome of a unitary project with slim cylindrical curtain towers, probably was built in the XIV century. Also the western part seems to belong to the original phase. In the residential structures some pieces of medieval decorations are recognizable.
In modern age the spaces were modified, in particular after the transition of the castle to the Savoys: new embankments with the decrease of the medieval curtains were created.
Descriptive sheet in collaboration with: www.langamedievale.com